Aveda, founded in 1978 is the art and science of pure flower and plant essences, connecting beauty, environment and well–being. Ayurveda meaning “the science of life”, is an ancient holistic system of healing that strives to create balance in body, mind and spirit, and has been central to Aveda since the very beginning. The Aveda mission is to care for the world we live in, from the products we make to the ways in which we give back to society.
The art and science of pure flower and plant essences is the core of Aveda. Our beauty products are alive with the life force of plants, and contain pure essential oils. Our solutions are so powerful we call them Purescriptions™. While specialising in hair care, Aveda offer other plant–based products including skin care, makeup, pure-fume™, aromas and lifestyle, all professionally developed, clinically tested, and are respectful of the earth.
Aveda’s roots lie in ayurveda, the indian healing tradition based on the knowledge of life and the interconnectedness of all things. It has proven, over 5,000 years, that treating the whole person leads to greater balance and well-being, so we consider the effects of our products not only on hair or skin, but on body, mind and emotion.
Aveda specialise in hair care, but also offer offer skin care, makeup, pure-fume™, aromas and lifestyle, professionally developed, clinically tested, and respectful of the earth.
Aveda aims to increase the use of naturally derived ingredients whenever possible. Our standards have made us a pioneer in the green cosmetics world: now more than 90% of our essential oils and 89% of our raw herbal ingredients (by tonnage) are certified organic.
- Sandalwood (Santalum spicatum) oil: a key ingredient in many of Aveda’s aroma blends, providing a rich, woody depth with polished smooth notes that create an air of complexity and mystery .
- Babassu: women have been gathering the nuts of the babassu tree in Maranhão, Brazil, for generations.
- Buriti from Brazil: oil from the tree of life.
- Acacia:* sacred in ancient Mesopotamia, the acacia tree is a source of nourishment and beauty. The gum of the acacia tree is also a natural thickener, perfect for fine hair.
- Ayurvedic roots of turmeric and amla: turmeric – known for its effectiveness in ayurveda – from the Indian firm nisarga (which means “nature” in sanskrit). Aveda’s partnership with nisarga is helping them to convert more farmland to organic.
- Argan from Morocco: Moroccan women are saving the argan tree from the encroaching desert.
- Rose and lavender from Bulgaria: Aveda’s partnership with Enio Bonchev, a Bulgarian rose and lavender oil distillery, ensures the Romi people’s fair treatment and compensation.
- Cistus from Spain: Spanish cistus extract is essential to Aveda. Our relationships with local Andalucian village inhabitants have helped create an earth-friendly cistus practice.
- Lokta bark paper from Nepal: at the top of the world in the Himalayas, things are changing for the better for many families, and the forests as well.